The "Look Away" Eyecare Habit Builder Mini-Course
4-week Plan to Safeguard Your Family's Vision
"This is an important topic that was highlighted in Wall St Journal and 2 of my colleagues were quoted in it. Great work."
- World-renowned retinal cancer surgeon and mother of 5
"This is great. Very smart. And pleasant. Go school to school and do teacher trainings."
- Montgomery County, Maryland Mom, Child Advocate and Parent Leader
Ever notice when you use a laptop or other screen device for a while, your eyes start to hurt or your head aches? Kids experience the same thing after a day of online school. That's called "Digital Eye Strain." If left untreated, Digital Eye Strain can lead to lingering pain and possible serious vision problems.
In this course, you'll learn not only how to control Digital Eye Strain, but lots of other valuable information about maintaining durable vision on and off screen devices.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Practice a simple habit that can help you and your family control Digital Eye Strain.
- Know the common eye conditions associated with screen device use.
- Confidently speak about eyesight concerns with eyecare professionals and your child's school.
- Know the difference between a school eye screening and a comprehensive eye exam.
- Potentially save thousands of dollars on glasses and eye condition treatments.
What you’ll learn:
- Strategies for controlling Digital Eye Strain and helping your child avoid Myopia and needing glasses.
- Health authorities' recommendations for limits on children's daily screen exposure.
- How to hold a mobile screen device in order to maintain more durable vision.
- Vision-protective techniques for using screens in various lighting conditions.
- How to limit your exposure to sleep-disrupting blue light.
- Obtain a FREE comprehensive eye exam for a 6-month- to 1-year-old baby.
- Audio "Listen Lesson" and transcript (no videos to watch!)
- "Look Away" Habit Builder (PDF)
- "How to Hold a Family Meeting" Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Complete Durable Family Pledge (PDF)
- Further Learning Resources
- Free inspirational e-book, The Durable Human Manifesto: Practical Wisdom for Living and Parenting in the Digital World.
Jenifer Joy Madden is a certified Digital Wellness instructor, Syracuse University digital media adjunct professor, health journalist, and tech hygiene product maker.
She founded DurableHuman.com in 2009 and is the author of How to Be a Durable Human: Revive and Thrive in the Digital Age Through the Power of Self-Design and The Durable Human Manifesto: Practical Wisdom for Living and Parenting in the Digital World.
Jenifer is also the proud mom of three grownup practicing durable humans, one of whom has a new wild human of her own!
Frequently Asked Questions
"Anxious to give this as a "gift" to new parents. More than timely advice!
- Community health advocate and mom of two